Spokane Employees' Retirement System
808 W. Spokane Falls Boulevard, Suite 604
Spokane, WA 99201-3324
509.625.6861 (Fax)

Divorce Information

Divorce and SERS Retirement Benefits

This page contains important information for those who are going through a divorce. If you are already divorced, the information contained in this document may not apply. The information listed below has been created as a resource for SERS members, spouses, former spouses, and their attorneys.

The Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 74.20A.080 provides the authority to pay retirement benefits to a former spouse (alternate payee) in accordance with a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO).

A QDRO is an order, filed with the court, awarding the alternate payee a specific percentage or flat monthly amount of a member’s pension annuity and must adhere to the plan requirements. Click here for a list of SERS QDRO requirements .

There are a number of requirements needed in order for your QDRO to be recognized by SERS. Please submit a copy of your QDRO for review to sers@spokanecity.org before obtaining the Court's signature. Click here for a sample QDRO.

For further information, please refer to the Spokane Municipal Code, Section 03.05.240 (B). You can also contact the Retirement Department at 509.625.6330 or sers@spokanecity.org

Documents on this page are provided as PDFs, which need the Adobe Reader software to view.  Download Adobe Reader.

Adobe Reader button